Terence McKenna | Culture is Your Operating System

in Alternative Religions, Spiritual Growth, Spiritual Lifestyle, Spiritual Thinkers, Spiritual Video

psychedelic-spirit

Terence McKenna was a writer and philosopher whose main area of focus was the study of the origin of human consciousness.

McKenna became a popular (yet controversial) counterculture figure in the 80s and 90s. The controversy stemmed both from his theories (the most famous being the “Stoned Aped Theory” – see video below.), and his exploration of altered states and endorsement of psychedelic drugs.

Here is are two short videos that cover some of his ideas:

Culture is Your Operating System (8 minutes)

Terence McKenna’s Stoned Ape Theory (as explained by comedian Joe Rogan). This is actually pretty hilarious! This one is about 4 minutes.

Terence McKenna bio on Wikipedia.

• No Related Posts
Posted on Saturday, July 4th, 2009

{ 2 trackbacks }

Terence McKenna | Culture is Your Operating System | Spiritual Mind « Culture Blog
July 4, 2009 at 10:55 am
Vivienne Westwood Cufflinks Chloe Davis by hz
October 27, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Tom Cash March 25, 2010 at 5:36 am

I strongly endorse any site that wishes to share McKenna’s wisdom with the world, but I do have a small gripe! You forgot one of his most amazing and important ideas: Novelty Theory!

Granted, Novelty Theory is a little more difficult to understand and break down into bite-sized chunks, especially in this day and age, but I personally feel that taking the time to really get it is well worth it. Given the amount of anticipation and anxiety surrounding 12/21/2012 11:11 GMT, I think its worthwhile to widely disseminate any information on the topic (aside from the poorly packaged, fear mongering nonsense you can find on the History Channel most nights).

Alex April 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm

@Tom, thank you for that. It’s true I’ve only heard bits and pieces about Novelty Theory. But I want to understand it a little better, because honesty, it makes my brain hurt a little – LOL.

I plan on eventually doing a post on it though. Thanks for your comment.

Steve December 5, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for sharing more of Mr Mckenna’s wisdom with the world. There needs to be some more modern thinkers of his standard of mind and speaking skills to help ‘out there’ ideas flourish.

seo plugin July 14, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword….wait there’s even more Now what if i told you there was a simple Wordpress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That’s right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin

kj?p converse billig April 23, 2015 at 2:35 am

Virtually all of the things you mention happens to be astonishingly precise and that makes me ponder the reason why I hadn’t looked at this with this light previously. This piece really did turn the light on for me as far as this specific issue goes. But there is one factor I am not really too comfortable with and while I make an effort to reconcile that with the core theme of the point, permit me see just what the rest of the readers have to point out.Well done.