Charles Darwin film ‘too controversial for religious America’

in Spiritual Growth, Spiritual Lifestyle

creation-paul-bettany

A British film about Charles Darwin has failed to find a US distributor because his theory of evolution is too controversial for American audiences, according to its producer.

Creation, the biopic about Charles Darwin is too controversial for religious America? As SNL’s Amy Poehler used to say on Weekend Update: “Really!….Really!”

I can not believe that is really a problem in the U.S. I mean I’ve heard the freak stories of school boards in weird small towns demanding that evolution not be taught to students, but this is getting ridiculous.

This is just a movie… about Charles Darwin. How afraid can you be?

No matter how religious you are, if you are afraid of a movie…and openly declare you’re boycotting it (or in this instance, refusing to distribute it) you will only serve to enhance its standing.

I’m just flabbergasted that anyone still has a problem with evolution in 2009. But fine, if you want to keep your kids from learning it, and want to believe that the Flintstones were real…that’s your prerogative.

Here’s what Oscar-winning producer Jeremy Thomas had to say in the Telegraph UK article:

…he was astonished that such attitudes exist 150 years after On The Origin of Species was published.

“That’s what we’re up against. In 2009. It’s amazing,” he said.

“The film has no distributor in America. It has got a deal everywhere else in the world but in the US, and it’s because of what the film is about. People have been saying this is the best film they’ve seen all year, yet nobody in the US has picked it up.

“It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America. There’s still a great belief that He made the world in six days. It’s quite difficult for we in the UK to imagine religion in America. We live in a country which is no longer so religious. But in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

“Charles Darwin is, I suppose, the hero of the film. But we tried to make the film in a very even-handed way. Darwin wasn’t saying ‘kill all religion’, he never said such a thing, but he is a totem for people.”

Hmm…it’s a sad state of affairs.

The movie stars Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connolly, and hopefully will be playing at a theater near you. Here’s the trailer:

• No Related Posts
Posted on Saturday, September 12th, 2009

{ 1 trackback }

Tweets that mention Charles Darwin film ‘too controversial for religious America’ | Spiritual Mind -- Topsy.com
September 13, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Greg September 12, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Thats pretty ridiculous that they cant find a distributor.

Jill Giordani September 12, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Bettany is a great actor, I’m sure its going to be fabulous. You would think the controversy would actually help the film not hurt it. I guess I can always get the dvd if I have to.

Alex September 12, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Yeah, but its a problem. How do you not get a distributor for this movie? But hopefully with all the hoopla people will come to their senses.

James Baquet September 13, 2009 at 6:43 am

OK, I read the Guardian article. Admittedly, I read nothing else. But nowhere do I see a quote from a distributor saying, in essence, “We will not distribute this film because it will be divisive” etc etc etc.

I see: “However, US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive…” It does NOT say that that’s WHY they passed on it.

So what we have is a filmmaker (=promoter) claiming that this is the reason, and everyone reacting to his characterization of the reason.

I’m not naive; I know what a hot-button topic evolution is in America. But is there any chance that the filmmaker is using this to drum up a little interest? Could “Spiritual Mind” have fallen victim to hype?

Mark P. September 13, 2009 at 8:00 am

Our forefathers left England 230 years ago to escape religious oppression. Now, our nation is oppressed by a religion that prohibits progression through science.

Renee M September 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm

How embarrassing for us, really. I hope it finds a distributor here.

Alex September 13, 2009 at 7:13 pm

@James – I hope you’re right, and its just a marketing gimmick.

@Mark – well, all one can do is try and draw attention to it.

@ Renee – Im sure it will find a distributor. Controversy usually = gold.

hollynoel001 September 13, 2009 at 8:53 pm

people can be so closed-minded thinking that thier way is the only way and that is not true individuals should be able to make up their own minds and decide what they want to believe not what someone else thinks we should believe

No Brit September 14, 2009 at 10:24 am

Everybody knows The Americans are another species the british HATE with an unbridled passion.

The british hate that The Americans are another species, so they’re trying to make them look like… get this… religious people. HAHAHAHA The brits are such poor losers. They invented Afrocentrism to fool the Africans into building their Israel, but that didn’t work. And they NEVER fooled The Americans from Day 0. Columbus couldn’t even do that!!

The british are such dumb, poor and hateful religious liars, losers and cowards.

Alex September 14, 2009 at 10:57 am

@Nobrit – uh, ok.

Thank you for the crazy.

Hadnt had much of that on here.

Abby September 15, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’m amazed that anyone in this day and age could still have a problem with evolution. Even if people don’t believe or agree with the idea, at the very least, they should have an tolerant mind to other people’s beliefs. I mean, ye-gads, are we going to stop showing movies with anything but Christian beliefs in them?!

Nea September 23, 2009 at 8:01 am

I would love to see this movie. If only people in the States would be a little more open-minded.